Do you have a huge passion for cooking? Do people go crazy over the food that you create? Perhaps then you might be the ideal person to think about creating your own catering business. Your love and passion for cooking could end up being a wonderful career for you. Even one that you can base out of your own kitchen. Here is how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business.
One way how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business is consider opening up the business to cater to families where both parents are working and they don’t have the time or energy to take time out to prepare nutritious and wholesome meals for their families. Sometimes these parents are just too tired to be able to make these healthy meals. Cooking for these types of families is a great way how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business along with helping families.
Your own catering business can be a really lucrative venture for you by providing healthy meals for families that are so busy and need help relieving some of their burdens. By preparing healthy meals for families will help to get rid of some of the stress these parents might be feeling when it comes to all the shopping and cooking that goes into making daily meals. It’s important to know how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business and how to go about doing so.
However, before you jump into learning how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business, there are a few things that you will want to consider:
- What are you going to call your catering business?
- Will you just be serving families that need help or will you serve other types of clients as well?
- Are you going to run this business or are you going to want to have a partner? If you do pick a partner you’ll need to consider whether or not the two of you will do the cooking or if one will do more of the administrative duties?
- Will you need to hire help? Another cook, helpers, or servers?
- You will need to check with your local authorities about the laws that govern catering businesses. You need to know what kind of licenses and permits that you’re going to need. It’s important to know these details before you open up your business so that there are no problems in the future.
- You are going to need to figure out what kinds of food and meals you are going to offer. If you are focusing on families you will want to offer two or three choices each day. After you’ve established your clientele you then can give them some sort of order form of the different meals that are available certain days a week. You will also want to establish a time frame that you would like to keep. You should instruct your clients they need to hand in their forms a week or even two weeks in advance. You can make your own form on your computer and even email it to clients for convenience. It’s important to make as much of your business automated in order to eliminate any unnecessary legwork for you or your staff.
- It’s important that you have a price list created in advance for all of your meals. This can be a challenge but you want to keep your prices as low as you can and still make a profit. One thing you can do is call other catering businesses and try to get ideas on what they are charging for full meals. The last thing you want to do is price your food so high that you lose clients and price yourself out of business. You also need to allow for any fluctuations in market prices.
- When considering how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business you will need to take into consideration the manner in which you buy your ingredients. The best thing you can do is to buy your ingredients in bulk. It’s probably best to join a local wholesale club in order to save money. It’s important that you become a very savvy shopper when running your own catering business which means shop around because sometimes you might find certain items at your local grocery store might be lower than the wholesale club you join.
- If you want to get clients, you are going to have to consider how you are going to advertise your catering business. Word of mouth is one good way and sometimes depending on where you live can be one of the best ways to advertise. However, you can’t just rely on word of mouth. You need to consider creating flyers and posters and leave them at different businesses and organizations in your area. You can save money by creating these on your own computer. You can also put coupons in the newspaper and mail coupons to get the word out. This, however, can be costly. So make sure to include that type of advertising in your budget. Don’t forget about using social media also to promote your catering business.
- Creating your own catering website is another way how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business. You’ll also want to print business cards that include your website address on it. When creating your website go with a good web hosting company that will also provide you with good Internet marketing tools. Make sure one of the tools they offer is a bulk emailing program that has an auto responder. You can use this tool to run various business campaigns to grab the attention of possible clients.
- When considering this type of catering you need to consider how you’ll deliver the meals. Will they come to your home and pick them up, or are you going to deliver them to their homes for a nominal fee? This means that you will need to set up a good plan for a cooking and delivery schedule.
- Another important thing to consider is what kind of containers are you going to use to pack the food in? Most often the meals will probably have to be reheated, so you may need to consider that you buy containers that are microwavable.
- Finally, it’s important that you make sure that you develop good relationships with both your clients and your vendors because having a good relationship with both will help to ensure that your catering business successful.
Final note about how your passion of food can help you start a successful catering business, is this, make sure that all of your recipes are either kept on your computer or you put them all in protective sheets in a binder, even if you know them by heart. This is because you may need others to cook along with you and who knows, you may want to one day publish your own cookbook.